Sheridan Slater, Agent
Get in touch!
Get the Membership Advantage
Get Farm Bureau Insurance®
Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance® prides itself on providing our members and policyholders with genuine personal service and fast claims processing. By maintaining an expansive network of local agents across the state, we can better serve you, because we live and work in our local communities.
Sheridan started with Farm Bureau in 2007. He was raised in upstate New York, but has now lived in the Chesapeake area since 1991. Sheridan is a graduate of Utica School of Commerce, a private Business College in upstate NY and Trinity College with a BS in Business Administration. Sheridan has also owned businesses in both NY and Virginia and currently owns Hair by Mardie & Co. with his wife, Cyndi. In Sheridan’s free time, he enjoys spending time with his Grandchildren, attending church activities and is a major sports enthusiast.
Interests & Links
Below are some links to websites as well as some of my interests:
- Current Weather Conditions Across The 48 Contiguous United States
- Your National Forecast Summary
- Video: Your 3-Day National Weather Forecast
- Severe Weather Alerts Across The Nation
- Airport Impact Map
Virginia Dep't of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Virginia Veterinary Medical Association Selects State Veterinarian Richard Wilkes, D.V.M., As Distinguished Veterinarian of the Year
- Roos Foods Voluntarily Recalls Variety of Cheeses Due to Possible Health Risk
- USDA 2012 Census: Market Value of Production on Virginia Farms Up Almost $1 Billion
- Virginia Officials Warn Consumers Not to Eat Cheeses Made by Roos Foods Due to Possible Health Risk
- Listeria found in Cheese in Northern Virginia
Products & Services
The Advantage Blog
February 26th - National Pistachio Day
Updated: February 26, 2014
I bet you didn’t know it, but February 26th is National Pistachio Day. And if you’ve ever tasted a pistachio before, you’ll agree that they definitely deserve their own day of recognition! Not only does this tiny nut pack a bunch of flavor, it’s also chalk full of benefits for your health!
Here are a few fun facts about the pistachio:
- They grow on trees and are native to the Middle East
- You gotta’ have patience! A pistachio tree takes 7-10 years to mature.
- Pistachios are harvested in September by machines that shake the trees and it takes less than a minute!
- People in the Middle East call it the “smiling nut” and in China it’s called the “happy nut”. Take a taste and you’ll see why!
- Pistachios are nutritious, so eat them up!
Snacking on pistachios is one of the healthier options in the nut family. They contain fewer calories and more potassium and vitamin K per serving than other varieties of nuts. They can help lower your cholesterol, and they also contain l-arginine, which can make the lining of your arteries more flexible. Which means you are less likely to develop blood clots that could cause a heart attack (remember it’s also American Heart Month). And since we are still in the early part of 2014, we should all be mindful of the dreaded scale! Pistachios can help with weight management because the fiber content makes them more filling and will help you sustain that full feeling throughout the day.
If you want to reap the benefits of all that the pistachio has to offer but don’t necessarily care for the taste of the plain nut, there are a variety of ways that you can incorporate them into other dishes. Here is a great recipe found on Food.com that includes pistachios, Mediterranean Stuffed Tomatoes. Make sure celebrate National Pistachio Day today by cracking open this nutritious nut and don’t forget to share!